Sunday, September 4, 2011

Venturing up north


When we decided to move to the Midwest, one of the things I knew would be really fun was all of the weekend trips we could take.  With Labor Day this weekend, we thought it would be fun to take the kids somewhere and explore.  I know once the weather turns colder we aren't going to want to venture out much, so we are trying to cram it all in now!  I have never been to Wisconsin (Dan had only been there the week before for his first time) so we decided to head up north.  We loaded the car up with snacks and had no particular plan, but figured we'd wing it.  Actually...we had the idea last night, so we stocked up on munchies at Costco where a lady came up to me and asked, "Do you mind telling me what religion you are?"  Hesitating I answered, "Mormon."  She smiled and said, "I thought so...we're Mormon, too!"  I guess we stand out in a crowd.  Anyway, we loaded the kids up and found this old historic lighthouse on Lake Michigan that we figured we'd go check out.  Unfortunately, it is so popular that you have to have a reservation, so we weren't able to go in it, but the kids had just as much fun checking out the beach and the museum.
 School may be out for the weekend, but for some reason, these old school desks were too enticing for these two. They also had a fog horn they let the kids push...that was definitely a hit.
 Dan took the picture, so sorry Sawyers face is covered with a shrub!
 Of course, the rocks were irresistible to climb on.  I don't think Mason and Parker could really grasp how big Lake Michigan is.  They were asking if it was bigger than the Great Salt Lake....um, yes!  Then they were wondering if there were sharks...
After the lighthouse, we drove over to Waukesha (west of Milwaukee) and ate at a local custard shop with hamburgers as big as Parker's appetite! We shared a milkshake, then headed over to the local fruit market where they had soooooooo many choices of cheese to pick from. I laughed as I walked in and the big sign read...."Just in...juicy peaches from Idaho." Ha! Never thought of Idaho as a peach growing state. They had samples everywhere, so we tasted lots of cheese, picked some out and headed back on the road.
 We passed this farm on our way up to Milwaukee and thought it would be fun to stop at on our way back.  They had apple picking, hay rides, goats to pet, a corn maze and pony rides!!!!  This little girl wants a horse sooooo bad and continually asks me when we are going to the pet store to get one.  So, she was the only one who wanted to go on a ride.  She is not at all afraid of horses.  This ones name was Harley and Sophi was a little bummed that the girl was going to hold the reigns and she couldn't just ride it herself and gallop!  She is much braver than me for sure!  It was definitely the highlight of her week...maybe month!
 The boys ran and ran and ran through this corn maze.  Luckily it was pretty small and there was only two entrances right next to each other so I didn't have to worry about them getting lost.  They played tag, then hide and seek and loved it. 
 They wanted to stop at every photo spot and they were so cute I had to take a picture.
 They had so much fun petting the baby goats.  Sophia kept saying..."Here little fella.....come here....its okay little fella."  But she was a little hesitant when they actually came to her.
 There were toys and a hay tunnel that the kids loved.  They were really excited to see this bunny out of its pen.  Of course, they scared the poor thing away!
 Sawyer was asleep when we pulled up, so Dan took a nap in the car with him.  When he woke up, Dan went and got an ice cream and shared it with him.  He loves food and of course loves ice cream!  In this picture, Dan was trying to show him a scarecrow on a bench and he didn't quite know what to think of it.  He was a little nervous.
And of course I had to get a picture of those killer blue eyes!  Those black clouds in the background went over us, but passed by quickly.  It was chilly and we were all definitely under dressed for the weather, but it was a very fun day. 

No comments: