The first of MANY buffalo we saw along the way.
Looking down over the falls. The boys were too tired after walking around here that we didn't even make it to Artist's Point where we usually have our picture taken with the falls.
The boys in front of Dragons Mouth. Parker informed us that if he had his knight costume with his sword he could kill that dragon. (He was really convinced there was a dragon in there).
We had to go around the hiking path the back way because this huge buffalo was on the boardwalk. When we came back down he had moved far enough away for us to get through. Sophia just stared at it and barked. (she thinks all animals are dogs)
Old Faithful
Followed by the traditional ice cream cone.
The boys loved the hot pots. We even got sprayed by one and ended up smelling like sulfer. Of course, they thought that was funny.
And our first attempt at a dutch oven picnic by the firehole river. Our usual spot was completely full, so we had to go up river a campground where, unfortunately, the water was too deep for the kids to swim in it, but they still had a fun time playing in the forest. We made pork chops, funeral potatoes and a peach cobbler. It turned out really yummy!
As we were saying goodbye to Yellowstone and such a fun little vacation the unbelievable happened...
WE SAW A GRIZZLY BEAR!!!
Of all of the years that we have been to Yellowstone, I have seen a black bear...once. We were on the main road headed out and traffic was at a dead stop. We figured it had to be something good. I saw a lady get in her car to get her camera and I saw her lips say the word "bear". I got so excited, grabbed the camera and saw him and snapped a shot. When I got back in the car I realized that I totally missed him. I was so bummed. Traffic started moving again and up the road a little ways was another turnout. I told Dan to just pull over in case he came walking up that way. Dan told me HE was going to take the picture this time and sure enough. He walked right toward Dan. The picture is a little blury because the sun was right in front, but you can see the bear straight on in the middle of the picture.
That was it. I felt like that was the cherry on top of a perfect vacation.
The drive back to my mom and dads cabin was beautiful. Look at the sunlight on the Tetons!! We look forward to many more trips to Yellowstone!

5 comments:
I can't believe you saw a bear! That is awesome...and you even got a picture. What a fun trip...those Teton mountains are soo beautiful.
I love Yellowstone! So cool you saw a bear!
What a fun trip. I love the picture of the whole family with the Tetons in the background. Beautiful! I think the last time I went to Yellowstone is when all of us cousins were all there.
I was talking to J yesterday about going up to Yellowstone. We used to go there all the time (but don't think we camped cause we didn't!) It looks awesome in the pictures, I am glad you had a fun time. Your kids are so cute!
BEAR!! That's awesome. We miss you guys. The kids are getting so big. Are you coming down for the fair? We are!! Hope to see you if you do. Glad to see you are still blogging....
Post a Comment